If you're thinking about ordering your new Patagonia Nano Puff online, stop right there. While the convenience of online is nice, supporting your local community is nicer. By shopping locally, not only are you supporting great businesses, but you are putting money into the local economy as well. Not only that, but you don't have to pay for shipping. If you do get lucky and get free shipping, you still might not get the right size and will have to ship it back-which usually doesn't have free shipping. Other important things to remember and the costs that aren't typically thought about such as: transportation costs, fossil fuels being used and burned, packaging-which usually isn't sustainable and hidden fees (restocking fees, shipping and handling costs, etc.)
Additionally, by shopping local your not helping just that business but many others as well. A local business not only relies on their employees but the local utility companies, attorneys, tech companies, marketing/ad agencies, architecture and design services, other service companies, bankers and insurance people as well as many others. At Active Endeavors, along with multiple other stores, we are dedicated to helping you find what you need to fit your needs- even if they means pointing you in the direction of a different local shop. And we're always happy to point our customers in the direction of good food and entertainment nearby.
So next time, stop to think before you shop online:
- Ask yourself whether you might be able to get the product from a local shop instead – perhaps one you can reach on foot or by bicycle
- Buy from as few different traders as possible, and consolidate your orders
- Buy shoes locally, as they have high return rates, and get the help of an expert
- See if your local shop can order directly for you
- Give preference to delivery services that use returnable crates or recyclable cardboard
- Set up buying groups to place collective orders
- Ask your nearby store if they are doing any sales now or in the near future
- Double check your items will arrive on time
- Use standard delivery rather than express delivery so that parcels can be transported in optimally loaded lorries
Lastly don't forget right in downtown Iowa City, Active Endeavors is your premiere outdoor store, and is ready to assist you. We have: Patagonia, The North Face, Marmot, Arc'Teryx, Nau, SmartWool, Icebreaker, Ibex, ExOfficio, Kühl Clothing, Kerisma, M. Rena, Stormy Kromer, Dakota Grizzly, Toad&Co., Outdoor Research, Mountain Khakis, prAna, Vineyard Vines, F/X Fusion, Hestra, Dex, Buff, Bench, Pistil, Quiksilver, Lolë, Fits Socks, Nike, Chaos, Laundromat, Manzella, Merrell, Sorel, Asics, Dansko, Hunter Boots, UGG, Birkenstock, Vasque, Chacos, Keen, Sperry, Salomon, Tom's, Oböz, Minnetonka, New Balance, Olukai, Frye Boots, Teva, Hoka, Brooks, Black Diamond Equipment., Osprey Packs, Eagle Creek, Leki, United By Blue, Victorinox, Grand Trunk, Yeti Coolers, Hydro Flask, La Sportiva, Petzl, Timbuk2, MSR, Camelback, Cascade Designs, Therm-a-Rest, Metolius, GoPro,Nalgene, Sea to Summit, Mad Rock Climbing, Soundcloud Optics, Deuter, Pendleton, Ray-Ban, Smith Optics and many other brands. And remember to shop local, support local!