These simple tips can help you become a responsible traveler, reducing your impact. We are proud to be better travelers.
Tips for Getting There
1. Aim for the flight with the least layovers: Not only will it save time, but takeoffs and landings create the most carbon emissions. If you can limit the number of takeoffs and landings in your trip, you are a hero in reducing your carbon footprint.
2. Choose a bus, train or boat: The best way to minimize takeoffs and landings of flights is to not fly. If time allows, take it slow on transportation. While you will still create an impact, it will be a smaller one. This is also a great opportunity to explore the sights along the way.
Tips for Staying in A Hotel
1. Turn off the lights, A/C and TV when you leave the room: Sometimes, hotels have power cards you can insert to turn on the electricity for your room. When you leave the room, simply take the card out. If your hotel doesn't have this, turn off lights when you're not using them, set the thermostat to 68, do not leave your electronics charging all night and turn off the tap when brushing your teeth. See, it's that simple to save some energy.
2. Put a note up that says you don't need housekeeping or hang your towels up: When you hang your towels up, it is a sign to show that you do not need your towels changed. By saving just one towel, you're saving over 1.5 gallons of water from being wasted. If you think the hotel room gets dirty in one night, think about how often you clean your own home. By putting up a sign declining housekeeping, you decrease energy usage and waste.
3. Take the leftover bathroom kit home: Housekeeping has to replace the bathroom kits when you check out. This means that anything leftover will be throw out. Take them home, and bring them with you on your next trip to reduce waste.
It is surprising how easy it is to be a sustainable traveler, with these simple small tips.
Learn more with Green Travel Tips at: http://greenglobaltravel.com/2014/03/09/green-travel-tips-ultimate-guide-sustainable-travel/